Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel

We are STARTING to see the light at the end of the tunnel with the whole sleep trauma as I am calling it...lol. It has been a rough few days (and nights). A day or two ago I came up with an idea that seemed to help some. I was thinking about what I could do to recreate a familiar sleep environment without having her sitting upright in her chair. I don't think it's necessarily being upright, I think it's being snuggled tightly by her seat, and having her legs wrapped comfortably. I tried taking a blanket and putting it around her legs and sides...but she was still missing the comfy head piece. So then I thought, why not take the seat apart and put the fabric part down so she still gets the head pillow, the familiar smell of it, along with the blanket snuggled around her bottom half? It hasn't worked 100% of the time, but it has helped some...there have been a few times where she's still fought sleep for 1+ hours, and other times where I lay her down and she is out in a matter of minutes. Also, last night she only got up one time!!! She hasn't done that in ages, even when she was in the pink seat! Granted, last night was one of those times it took me over an hour to get her back to bed, but at least this time she wasn't crying hysterically like she has been, and she slept the rest of the time. I was so excited. I was really on the verge of giving up, but it restored hope. Plus, a friend said she went through the same thing and it took about a week for the baby to adjust, but he eventually did...I figured I'm probably like 4 or 5 days into it now, why cave and then have to go through all of this (plus extra) days again later? And I know the timing of it seems horrible with everything going on, but there really isn't going to be good timing for it for the next few months while we are in transition mode. At least right now she is in her own room, in familiar surroundings. So I am taking it one day at a time and pushing on. I am glad to see some benefits though.

Aside from the sleep thing, another couple things I forgot to mention is that Emily has been having fun bringing things to her mouth and face. For instance, sometimes at night when I'm feeding her, she will take my finger and bring it to her cheek and keep doing it back and forth.

I forget the other update at the moment.

As far as my frustrations the other day, I'm feeling better today. As I mentioned it's on and off. But I recognized that my "battery" was getting low, so I went and got my toes done the other day (both physical and mental self care), and I went to an Alanon meeting last night. It was good because I hadn't been in ages (since right before Emily was born). I really need to keep up with going on a much more regular basis, and plan to find a group up north. It really is my medicine and keeps me happy and healthy. I was sooo happy because a lot of my favorite original group members that feel like a 2nd family were there. It was nice to see them and get to say goodbye. We also had the topic on "one day at a time", "letting go and letting God", and living in the present. Just what I've needed as reinforcement. I felt like a new person after going.

Speaking of goodbyes, today was my last day of work at Riley Therapy. We met early to get together for a "farewell" for me. Beth got me a cake which was sweet. We sat around and talked about how she and I came to work together, and the changes and growth over the 6 years together. I said my goodbyes and gave long hugs. Beth and I had gotten our tears out last time, so this time was just kind words and encouragement. I am truly going to miss Beth and my other coworkers. My newest coworker who is shadowing me wrote me this really sweet letter and said what big shoes she has to fill. I said goodbye to the last of my clients. I have grown and changed because of this job, and will carry the memories and experiences I have had with me.
 Saw this while I was out...thought it was a good reminder for now...
Where it first started here..and ends...

No comments:

Post a Comment