Monday, April 29, 2013

Couple quick updates...and 5 months!

Had a minute so figured I'd throw in a couple quick updates while I could...

First, Ashley (kinda) went potty for the first time this past week. Yay! A few months ago she was showing signs of interest in the whole potty thing, then she shifted to not wanting anything to do with any of it--no going potty, no diaper changing, nothing. So I didn't push it or force it...I figured, why exhaust my efforts and have her frustrated when she's not ready yet? Plus we have enough going on with the move.  Well, her best buddies Eli and Katie Wagner came over for a couple of playdates. Katie is already ready and doing well with potty training, so Ashley decided that she wanted to try it since Katie was doing it. So she'd try on those occasions, nothing happened. Recently she'll occasionally ask to use the potty and I let her go. I'll occasionally ask her too. Most times she still doesn't do anything, but she gets an A for effort :)

She did go a very tiny bit a couple times, so it's a start!

On a negative note, Emily has been having major issues with sleep all of a sudden...For a while she'd sleep through the night which was amazing, especially for such a young age. Then about a month ago she started getting up 1x/night which was ok. Lately she's been getting up 2x/night and then up early. It's been a little rough, especially since I'm already pretty mentally and physically exhausted these days with taking care of a family, a house, packing, working and tying up loose ends for work, getting ready for a garage sale, taking care of silly things from our house inspection, having a lot of unknowns in our future, trying to see everyone before we leave, etc....Matt and I have been burning the candle at both ends, and then I'm not getting good sleep....not a good combo. I usually try to practice what I preach at work about balance, self care and down time. Matt and I haven't had much of it lately and there's not a lot of flexibility to allow it right now.

I am not sure if she's going through a growth spurt, if she's teething (although I haven't felt anything), or if it's just the change going on around her. Then to top it off, the last 4 days have been even rougher. Emily has been sleeping in her pink papasan chair (in her crib) every night. With her reflux, she needed to be upright. Well now that she is getting bigger, she's starting to outgrow it and it's not really safe now that she wiggles and squirms so much. So since she's already getting up a lot during the night, I figured why not try to ween off of that and have her start sleeping on her back since her reflux has resolved itself. NOT COOL. Emily has had such a difficult time...I started with letting her keep the chair at night, and laying flat on her back for naps in an attempt to gradually ween her off, but I think it backfired. Poor Emily is not a fan of laying on her back, and she fights and fights and fights sleep. She will be up for almost 2 hours screaming and crying at nap time...And she is mad/upset/exhausted. It's been incredibly stressful on her and on me. So I am cutting the seat out cold turkey so there's no more confusion or added difficulty. I'm hoping we just have a couple more days of difficulty and then she'll be used to it. (Praying!!!)

I think it's just been a rough few days in general. Again, just a combination of lack of sleep and all the current stressors going on. I'm also going through different stages...I recently posted about how I was feeling more ready and prepared for the next chapter....which most days I am...but then there are days when we are with friends and I am sad again....and Matt and I have been having waves of discouragement with the whole house thing. Having faith in God, most days I am confident and know that God has a house for us, and a plan for us. But some days I still feel discouraged. All of the good homes get snatched up sooo quickly, and for asking price or more up there. Most homes we've looked at we would need to ask for less to be able to afford it, or it's got one or more major drawbacks. I am not expecting a perfect home, and I know there's gotta be sacrifice somewhere, but it's been pretty big things. It's like no yard for the girls, or a long narrow 1 car driveway with walls around it and no place to expand it out, or not space to eat in the kitchen as a family, etc...Or we find one we like and it's gone. I am just hoping once we get up there we'll have more luck. I am not thrilled about being "homeless" and living in the Pocono house or bouncing all over the place for too long. Our lives have already been unsettled for a couple months as it is, I just want normalcy again. At the same time though, I don't want to rush into a house and settle either...sigh...

I am sorry, I know I sound like a downer today...it's just where I'm at at the moment. I will be fine again soon.

Other than all the craziness, and the sleep issue, the girls are great. Emily just turned 5 months old yesterday. I can't believe how fast the time is flying. She is such an incredible little girl. I am so blessed with two amazing daughters.

Just today we were over at the Wagner's house, and I had Emily on her belly to show her how she's rolling over. When I did that, Emily repeatedly tried pushing forward with her legs....Oh boy! She may be showing the first signs of wanting to crawl!

Ashley has been enjoying playing outside a lot, and playing with friends. She has been asking for her best buds, Eli and Katie...seeing them play makes me sad to leave too when I watch her having so much fun and they are squealing with joy and delight...but then I remind myself that she'll be able to do that with her cousins instead which will be nice. But she will miss her friends as much as we do I think. Luckily she's at a young age where it'll be an easier transition for her.

Well that's all for now. Here are a few recent pics, along with a few pics I forgot to post a few weeks back when our friends were here visiting.
Ashley with our neighbors Leann and Scott Barnes (and dog Colby)


Ashley and Emily with their great babysitter, Katelyn Ammons...she's been babysitting since Ashley was 5 months old!
Emily's 5 month shots





Pics from playdate with friends





Fun times...

Chuck-e-cheese fun


My sweet girl

Bedtime stories

Fun with Blake and Chase Heatley

Laura and Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment