Monday, May 6, 2013

Goodbyes are so hard to do....

Well it has been an emotional roller coaster for me the last few days--moments filled with the greatest joys, fun, and laughter; and also moments of total sadness and tears. We have had to start saying our goodbyes to our friends.

I think reality hadn't really hit me until just recently. Even with all the packing, house shopping, etc., part of me still felt like we were just packing up for another one of our trips up north to visit family. I guess it hadn't hit me that this time we weren't coming back in a week.

On Thurs evening our friends Laura and Tim Heatley were really kind and offered to open their homes up to our friends. We were planning to do a barbeque with them anyway, and so Laura suggesting inviting some of our other friends for a farewell party. It was a very fun time. Many of our friends from throughout the years here came--Laura, Tim, Blake and Chase Heatley; Christi, Matt, Katie and Eli Wagner; Jamie, Laura and Norah Brown; Leah; Moria and Keegan Hannah; Tara and her baby Thomas Adams; and neighbors Scott and Leann Barnes. We had a fun time talking, laughing, and discussing our future endeavors. We said our goodbyes and exchanged hugs. I still don't think it had hit me yet, just felt like we were saying goodbye after one of our get togethers.

It hit me when I had to say goodbye to our dear friends Jen and Jim Lastinger. Jen, Jim, and Jen's sister April came up for the weekend to visit one last time. We had a great visit with them--we went out to dinner with them and Matt and Christi Wagner the first night, then we spent a few hours together the following evening. Jen is one of my dearest and best friends (and always will be), so it was hard saying goodbye. We gave our hugs and our miss you's like we'd normally do when saying goodbye, but as I stood at the door waving goodbye, THAT is when it hit me and I burst into tears.

It was at that moment when reality kicked in that they won't be just a few hours away where we can get in our cars and go visit whenever we want to. We absolutely will stay in touch and visit with them because they are so special to us, but it's won't be the same. I won't get to see them as often as I do now, and it'll take more planning and traveling to get there which sucks. I just hate that I'm going to be so far from some of my dearest friends and greatest supports. This is one of the hardest things I've had to do in my life. I just feel like I am walking away from so much in order to be closer to our families. It's just very bittersweet.

Another one of my very dear friends Leah came by yesterday for one last visit and goodbye. She and I have grown close over the years as well, so it was another hard goodbye. I was already depressed from my goodbyes the day before, and another hard goodbye to say, so this time my tears came before she had even left. And more best friends to say goodbye to this week...it's going to be rough.....

Saying these goodbyes are just a reminder of how blessed I am. God has given me soooo many wonderful blessings through the gift of friendship. Matt and I are not the same people that we were when we moved down here. Our friendships and our experiences have forever changed us. And for that I will always be so grateful.


















No comments:

Post a Comment