Sunday, February 12, 2012

On the mend...








Poor Ashley was sick with her first stomach bug last night. She's had a couple of colds, but up to this point we have been lucky to have a healthy child. She was fine all day yesterday, even right up to her getting sick. We had gone to Eli Wagner's 3rd birthday party yesterday at the fire station and then firehouse subs. She was enjoying herself. I'm not sure if she picked something up there being around a lot of kids, or if something was brewing already that we didn't know about.
Later that night daddy left to go work for the Hockey game (he does PT on the players). Ashley and I were skyping with grandma. We were upstairs in the bonus room, and we were showing grandma Ashley's new toy kitchen set she got for an early valentine's day gift. Ashley was playing and having a fun time. Then she crawled over to me, and threw up on the loveseat, rug, and myself. Poor girl. I held her for a few minutes, then brought her to the bathroom to get cleaned up and changed. She actually seemed ok, was happy and laughing again. So I thought maybe it was something she ate. I got her ready for bed, read a story, and put her to bed.
I went to clean up the mess (EWWW), when not two minutes later I hear a sound on the monitor that sounded like Ashley might have gotten sick again. Well, she did. At this point I had throw up in the bonus room, throw up on her clothes in the bathroom, and throw up all over her crib, and a sick, crying baby. So I called Matt and asked him to come home. I think that was the fastest time he's ever made it home.
Daddy came home and held Ashley while I cleaned up. She continued to get sick a couple more times. When she seemed settled, he bathed her and rocked her to sleep. We put her down, she got sick again in her crib, so we had to clean her up and change sheets again. This time I rocked her to sleep. We called the after-hours nurse, and she said there is apparently a bad virus going around. It starts up higher (with the vomiting), then works it's way down later to the lower GI with diarrhea. Fun! She said that we needed to keep her upright about an hour and half after her last vomiting so make sure it works it's way down. So I sat in her glider and held her until 12:45 a.m. Then Matt and I switched. He laid her in the crib and then laid on her floor for a little bit to make sure she wasn't going to get sick in her crib again. I think we made it to bed around 1:30.
Poor girl. She looked so pitiful. And it's so sad seeing a little baby throwing up the way she was. Luckily today she seems a lot better. She's still not 100%--not much of an appetite and does have the diarrhea that they said would come later, but she woke up wanting fluids, is in good spirits and is still wanting to move and explore like she normally does as the day progresses.
Just praying we don't get it now. It's hard to take care of a baby when you have a nasty virus.

It was def an experience...Luckily daddy and I make a good team ;)

Here are some pics from the birthday party (pre-sickness).

No comments:

Post a Comment