Friday, January 13, 2012

New Chapter

Well, one chapter has ended and another new one is beginning. Last night was my last night of breastfeeding. It ended on a really great note. We had a couple of bonding moments with good eye contact, and then Ashley fell asleep during it. I just held her in my arms and watched her sleep while I treasured the last moments. At one point I started to tear up even. It's just bittersweet. In one way it's so much fun to watch her grow and I'm excited about all the fun stages to come, but in the same sense I knew that this was the last time I would hold her like this, in my arms as my baby. That chapter was closing. Oh gosh, I'm tearing up again as I write this.
Anyway, tonight was the first night of change. We did our night time routine--we had bath time as we usually do, then rocked in her glider as we do. Then instead of breastfeeding, she had her formula in her sippy cup. She was a champ. She didn't seem upset at all. In fact, she seemed to enjoy holding her cup like a big girl. Then we continued on with our routine of reading books, brushing teeth and saying prayers. She went right down without an issue. I guess I'm not that surprised, she's an easy-going baby who adapts well to most situations. Plus there have been nights when I've worked late, or have been out and Matt or a sitter has put her to bed with a bottle/sippy cup in the past.
Next step--switching to regular milk. You're supposed to start at a year, but Matt's parents were thoughtful and bought us a decent-sized container of formula while we were visiting, so I figured I'd finish that out first.
Well, I'll post more about the journey as we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment