Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Movin' On Up

I am excited, today is an big day!  We cleared out the guest room to get ready for an extra bedroom. We had to move the bookshelves into the dining room which I'm not thrilled about. The room is really small as it is, and it's my only kid-free formal room left.  But we have absolutely no room for them anywhere else (trust me, I was brainstorming about any other possible options). We could have moved them into the bonus room, but it would have taken up a ton of space and I really want that to be a fun (and safe) space for the girls to play.
There is a saying that goes something like:" without kids my house would have nice things and always be clean, but my heart would be empty". There will be plenty of time to have a nice "adult home" where everything is just so, but for now it's a kid-friendly home with lots of love. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

Last night Matt and I cleared out the rest of the stuff--we put the bed in the corner of the bonus room (we did still want there to be a bed/sleeping option for guests). Luckily the room is so big that the bed didn't even put a dent in it, so there's still plenty of room to play. And I'm sure at some point the bed will even be used for forts or pillow fights too.

We had debated whether or not to move Ashley or keep her in her current room. It's the smaller of the two rooms, but it's painted and all set up with the comforts of what she knows. She's not currently at the age where the size will matter. However, we opted to move her afterall. We think our plan is to stay in this house for at least a few more years. So when we started doing the math, she will be the first to grow into a "big girl" bed which eventually converts to a full size, and her current room is def too small for that. Plus she doesn't care now, but in a few years she may and it's only fair that since she's older that she should get the bigger room. So, our big girl Ashley gets to move into her "big girl" room, and Emily will move into Ashley's old room.

The rooms were painted today. I'm so excited! We are definitely going with the bedding set that I posted on here for Emily's room. I started a baby registry at Pottery Barn Kids (and Babies R Us) with the bedding stuff, and we have officially painted the walls based on that set so it's a done deal. Yay. I can't wait to start getting it ready.

I also wanted to do the switch kind of early because having a new baby will be a lot of change and adjustment for Ashley as it is, and I didn't want Ashley to have one more thing to have to adjust to later. I figure if we did it early on, she wouldn't even associate the change with the baby and will be already comfortable and transitioned way before she even comes.


                                          Putting her new room together
Ashley's first night sleeping in her "big girl room"
                                         Sneak peak of the color of Emily's room

No comments:

Post a Comment