Saturday, June 9, 2012

16 Weeks and an Ashley update

Well today I am 16 weeks! Can't believe we are almost 1/2 way there already. When you have another child at home, it definitely makes your pregnancy fly much faster.
Well, although this pregnancy has been very different than with Ashley, there is one thing in common--apparently my skin is very sensitive during this time. I don't remember how far along I was with Ashley at the time, but we had been away on a trip when I broke out all over in hives. Apparently I had had some kind of allergic reaction to something--we're thinking the hotel sheets or towels or something. We were in the middle of nowhere in NH and had to go to the ER in the middle of the night.
This time, luckily I was home. I didn't break out in hives, but I had these incredibly itchy rash-like red spots that developed on my chest. I tried getting in with the doctor on the 2nd day, but they couldn't get me in for a few days. So I went to one of the urgent care places. After waiting over 2 hours with Ashley (who is at the age where she wants to be moving and doing), the doctor finally saw me. She didn't know what it was. Due to the way they are secluded to one part of my body and the shape of them, she thought maybe it was the Shingles, which can be very dangerous and can be passed to the baby. They didn't burn or weren't painful, but she thought maybe that was the case but she really wasn't sure. So not much help. She tried contacting a couple dermatologists but couldn't get through now that it was lunch hour. So Ashley and I went for lunch after, and I got a call saying they were able to get me in at a dermatologists office shortly. I ran home and dropped Ashley off with my friend Beth so she could nap and not endure anymore torture of waiting around, then ran right out. After more waiting, I got in. They ruled out the shingles thankfully, and determined it was just some kind of allergic reaction to something and prescribed me a topical ointment for it. So....it was a LOOOONNGG day of waiting, but I was glad that all was ok with the baby and I.
On a better note, everything else has been great. I have felt the baby kick a few more times. Pretty exciting. I am starting to feel more human, although about a 1/3 of the day I still feel crummy and I still am tired and need naps most days.
Lately I have been craving soup, particularly creamy kinds like potato soup, clam chowder, etc. I am definitely showing now too.






As far as Ashley goes, she has been so much fun. Lately she has been more affectionate. She comes up behind me when I am doing the dishes and gives me a hug. Or she'll hug me when I'm holding her. It's sweet, she rests her head on you, hugs you and pats you and says "aww" or something that sounds like it. Above is a picture of her doing it with Maddie.
Her vocabulary and recognition continues to grow. She is so smart. She loves pointing at lots of different things. She knows more detailed body parts, and loves to point at hers and ours. She cracks up laughing when she tries sticking her finger in our mouth.
Her new thing is trying to climb up on things--furniture, children's chairs. Not only does she like to sit on them, but some she even tries to stand on.
She loves to play peek-a-boo where she goes and hides, then comes out and says "boo".
Speaking of things she says, she says the cutest "bye". It sounds like she has a little southern accent when she says it, it's like "baa".
If I think of more, I will add them as I go. She continues to learn at such a rapid pace that it's hard to keep up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment