Thursday, March 8, 2018

It's Been a While

It's funny, back in the day when the girls were babies and toddlers and home full time, somehow I had more time to stop and write than I do now that they are both in school (at least part time for Emily). I remember naively thinking that once September rolled around and both girls were in school, I'd have some me time to do things like this--write, work on my photo albums, etc. Haha. I was wrong.
Now that they are both older, we are busy with activities (currently gymnastics (for both girls at separate times) and Girl Scouts( for Ashley), playdates (we now have a bunch of friends as compared to when we first moved here), homework, etc. So my "time off" on some days are spent running errands that are easier to do without kids, grocery shopping, and cooking meals ahead of time since we are always out. I've also made it my full time job to get my business thriving again so that Matt can cut down on working like a dog (while still trying to maintain a busy part time so I can still be mom first and make it to class events, activities, etc).
So..this is why I am behind...

Anyway, I thought I would take the few minutes that I have to update you on the girls.

I'll start with Emily this time. I tend to usually write about Ashley first since she's oldest. Anyway, Emily is doing GREAT in her last year of preschool. Her teacher has told me twice recently how she uses Emily as an example. She reports that she is just such a great kid--so happy, so friendly. She always jumps in feet first with school activities, she's outgoing and kind with all. She even said she wishes she was more like Emily as a kid.
People always tell me that they feel like Emily is older than she actually is. Perhaps it's her height (she is around 80th percentile), but it is also her personality. I don't think she even tries to keep up with Ashley, I think she just does. They have the same friends, and Emily tends to socialize with Ashley's friends more than younger kids her own age.
She really is a great kids. She's the perfect combination of friendly and kind, mixed with a big dose of sportiness and even a little sass/ mischievous side. For a very long time she was always active--almost literally bouncing off the walls, running, jumping, etc. Now thanks to her advanced gymnastics class it's mostly flips and cartwheels. She has "slowed down" a little and now enjoys writing (she's figuring out the whole reading thing, and always asking how to spell things since she loves to write, and can point out some words in a book). She also likes to color now sometimes, which she never used to.
She greets the world with a smile on her face. Here's an example: when I bring her to preschool, she will always call out and say hello to friends on our way in. Then (every day) we stop by her old classroom from last year, to say hello and hug her old teachers. Next we stop at her friend Anthony's class (one of her best friends and who she claims she's going to marry someday). His teachers call him and tell him Emily is here. He runs over, and they just hug. Usually there aren't any words exchanged, just a sweet hug. Sometimes half the class comes over now too. It's cute.
Emily has been whistling for sometime now. I'm not sure if I wrote about this already. In the beginning, she was whistling NON stop to songs, both real and made up. It was so cute.
No matter how big or how independent she is getting, she still loves her "Momma" as she still calls me half the time. It melts my heart.

Ashley is doing GREAT too! Her school gives out Pillars of Character awards, and Ashley earned one for kindness. She also has gotten home three additional notices, saying that she's been "caught" being kind. She is also doing great in school academically. Her most recent report card had mostly Excellents, which is the highest level of mastery. The only complaint that her teacher has is that she said Ashley is VERY bright (which we all know), but she wants to hear more of it. Sometimes she holds back in front of the class. I sometimes see little glimpses of perfectionism, and I think sometimes she's afraid of speaking up if she's not totally confident about the answer (I used to be the same way as a kid).
She is also having a good time in her after school activities. She also loves to read. She and Matt are reading Harry Potter (way above her reading level)--she can read 90% of the words independently. She is still quite an artist, with writing, reading, coloring/drawing, etc. Gymnastics isn't her highest skill level, but I am glad she is doing something she's not the "best" at and letting herself enjoy it anyway. She may do running next for a brief time, and THAT she is GTEAT at.
Ashley is also creative in unique ways, like finding things while we are taking walks, and using them to make creative things with. Things that are straight up junk are special and unique in her eyes. Same with bugs. She will find a worm or a caterpillar, and she will take it in and care for her new "pet" in such a sweet loving way.
Living here in NJ, especially North Jersey, one of my biggest concerns was the "mean kids" and nastiness that you sometimes can encounter here. I am so happy and thankful that Ashley gravitates toward the nice kids in her grade, and IS the NICE kid to others. She includes the kids that are slightly awkward, she is kind to everyone. Whenever she has things sent home from other kids, they all write about how kind and caring she is.
Another exciting thing is that Ashley is talking about wanting to be baptized. Our church believes in waiting until the person is old enough to make that decision for themselves. I am excited that she understands this and wants to take this step in her faith.
Anyway, I feel like I am kind of cutting it short but the kids were out playing in the snow with Matt (they have a snow day because we are getting over 2 feet of snow....ugh), but I hear them coming in.

No comments:

Post a Comment