Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Bittersweet Moment

Had a bittersweet moment. We got rid of all of our baby clothes and most of our baby items this week. I had held onto EVERYTHING we owned JUST IN CASE we decided to have another baby. We were pretty set on 2 children from the get go, but I wanted to hold onto the stuff just in case we had a change of heart over time. But, we have officially closed that door. We decided that our hearts are full and our family is complete. So now that it's official, we decided to do some purging since the baby items were taking up 70% of our basement storage.
In one way, clearing out all the space felt great! A daunting chore was finally done. On the other hand, very sad to give up our things. Although they are just things, and we can't take any of it with us when we die, these things connected me to their babyhood, and wonderful memories. Given the sentimental person that I am, I did allow myself to keep one big bin of combined baby clothes from newborn up to almost 2T. That way I can reminisce over them, let the girls see some of their stuff and how little they once were, and if by any chance they want any of it for their own children someday, they can have it or turn into a quilt or something.
I gave a ton of clothes to my good friend Jodi. (I checked with siblings first with items). I've known her since the 5th grade. She has twins, one boy and one girl. I gave her 12 month-2T. The nice part about her having them is that I can see her little girl wearing them, and again reflect back on when my babies were in those outfits, which is really nice. I donated the other half to Good Will. I was blessed to have wonderful friends who happily shared/passed down or loaned me tons of baby clothes, so I thought it would be nice to return the good gestures, to help out a friend and others in need. Then I sold some items such as strollers, pack and plays, etc.

On to the next chapter of our lives....

P.s...no Florida updates because there hasn't been any yet....Matt is meeting with his bosses on Monday to discuss all details, and we'll know a lot more after we've had questions answered. Will keep posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment