Monday, June 3, 2013

6 Months

I am a few days behind, but I wanted to post about Emily turning 6 months old. 6 months was a big milestone for her...she got her first tooth a few days before, she went to her new pediatrician, and she ate her first food--peas. She wasn't sure what to make of them at first, but she ate some (not sure how big of a fan she was though...haha).

Her appointment went great.. I don't have the exact #'s in front of me, but she was 90 something percentile for height, and high 30 something for weight. I had very high standards about the pediatrician after having an excellent one in Greenville, but I liked the doctor. The office itself is "eh" and they don't offer as much as far as classes go, but they do have sick visits, after hours nurse, other backup doctors available, and the doctor was nice and knew her stuff which are the things I care about the most. I called several pediatricians and none of them had a live person pick up 100% of the time (which I loved at old place, especially when it's more urgent), but this place almost always answers and will call back within 5 minutes based on urgency. It's also in close proximity to our new house.

She ended up getting her second bottom tooth (left middle) about 5 days after her first one came in. That was quick!

All in all Emily is doing ok. I think both she and Ashley are feeling a little bit of the repercussions of the move and all the change (as am I as a result). Emily was already a momma's girl, but she has been extra clingy to me lately. I think she's getting a little separation anxiety. She doesn't like when other people are holding her (especially when I'm around/in the room), she doesn't want to be put down--she will whine the whole time, and now she is having difficulty sleeping--going to bed late, fighting sleep, up earlier than normal. That has been challenging for me because we are staying with other people who all need to be up early for work and I am trying to keep her quiet and calm so that others aren't woken up from her crying.
 I think it's a combo of normal developmental separation anxiety mixed with teething, being in yet another new location (I'm at my mom's now), being off her regular routine and life, out of her familiar home environment, maybe even still from shots, etc. But it's been hard for both of us. I think it would be good for both of us if I had a little time apart from her, one because mommy hasn't had ANY alone/"me" time since before we moved and I am feeling it, and two so that she can see that mommy can leave but she always comes back. I'm slightly envious of Matt--as he said he feels like he's in HS, living with his parents with no wife or kids for the week, out golfing, swimming, hanging out with friends, etc while I am doing the single mom thing and have extra work when I am really needing a break too. I love my girls and LOVE my time with them and feel so blessed to have it, but I also know the importance of balance, self care and me time--makes you a better parent and spouse.

Ashley is also feeling it a little. I think I mentioned a little while back that Ashley was doing this thing where she covers her ears and says "too loud". At first I thought it was a new little phase, and it was really cute. But now I'm becoming a little concerned about it. I've been watching, and I'm noticing she does it when she actually seems to be scared. For instance, the loud vacuum...then one night Matt and I were reading her a bedtime story about dinosaurs. She covered her ears and said "too loud", and even started shaking. I asked her if the dinosaurs scared her, and she said yes. She also was baking cookies with grandmom, and did the same thing with the loud mixer. Then again while watching a (seemingly harmless) young children's show that had a part that seemed to scare her--again with the shaking, and said yes when I asked her if she was scared. Again, could be partially developmental as I know children do go through a phase between 2-3 where they become afraid of some things as they are learning about the world, but also could be fears developing due to so much change and inconsistencies. I hate seeing her like that though since normally she is so happy and confident with everything.

Other than those issues, all is well. As I mentioned, we are up visiting grandma and Aunt Cheryl, Uncle Billy and cousin Alyssa (4 months today). We've been having a nice visit, with the exception of the fact that when we first got up here it was 97/98 degrees (abnormally hot for up here this time of year), and mom's air conditioning units weren't in. It was an oven in here, very uncomfortable and I was worried it would be unsafe for the girls. We went out to an AC'd restaurant the first night, then next day we went to the mall to let Ashley play at bounce house area...but you'd come home and bake after 5 minutes. Finally I had enough and Cheryl, Billy and I pulled the unit out and put it in. MUCH better and more pleasant.

Ashley has been having fun with "baby cousin", her toys, grandma's "frosty the snowman" that she left out for Ashley, etc. Yesterday I got together with Aunt Arlene, Uncle Teddy, Krissy, Conan, and their kids Emma Grace, Jackson and Samuel. We met at the park and the kids had a BLAST playing while we caught up and chatted, and had a little picnic. I love time with them and am excited to have more family time now that we are closer :)
My plan is to just take it easy this trip and try to visit with some friends and family when I can.

Well that's about it for now.

Here are some pics.
Kim Belfer came to visit us one afternoon
Grandpa also came to visit

Daddy and Ashley playing with balloons on daddy's birthday


Daddy with his girls on his 32nd birthday



Emily trying peas for the first time on her 6 month birthday





You can't tell from the picture, but Emily really liked the bounce-a-too

Emily at her new pediatrician's office...this was before the shots
Ashley with her rock collection

No comments:

Post a Comment